As the holidays approach, so do the holiday parties. But just because it's called an "ugly sweater party" doesn't mean you have to look like an ugly sweater when the camera flashes.
Follow the tips below as a guide to your holiday beauty routine before you rush out to the next Christmas tree selfie with your tipsy coworkers. You won't be sorry ;)
- Start your routine by priming you face and neck. Try using a product that contains the words "HD" or "Photo finish" in the name. These are designed to dull out any potential shiny spots or blemishes.
- Make sure your foundation does not have SPF unless you want your face to glow like a snowman. Apply sparingly to your face and neck so avoid any awkward discoloration in photos.
- Use a matte bronzer on the outer edges of your face to create a frame for the flash. Use a clean brush to blend out any harsh edges.
- Apply a rosy blush in a sweeping motion down your cheekbone, blending out onto the apples of your cheeks. Blend, blend, blend!
- Touch up your brows with a little something extra. Flash photography can see right through the fine hairs. Be sure to focus on the tails as they often get washed out by the flash.
- Avoid glitter and shimmer. These may look cute in the dim lighting of the tree, but when that camera flashes those chunks of glitter will do no good for your beautiful face. Opt instead for a pearlescent eyeshadow.
- Lipliner hasn't been cool for a while, but when it comes to having a defined lip it's a must. Focus on the corners of your mouth and the V of your lips before topping with a matte lip color. If you plan on drinking a lot, prime your lips with a lip stain before applying any lipstick.
- Top off your finished look with a matte HD loose powder to hide lines and oily spots. Do not skip this step!
If you want to go all out, go ahead and practice that Hollywood smile in the mirror. Just be sure to have fun with it! These tips will work with whatever winter makeup trend you choose to play around with, so if a deep purple lip is what you're trying these days, just remember to go matte. And don't forget to let us know how it goes in the comments below. We want to see the pictures!