New Year's Eve is one of my favorite celebrations. Everybody makes themselves beautiful, there's plenty of great drinks to go around, and everybody gets to dance the night away to last year's greatest hits! What's not to love?
When it comes to New Year's beauty, there are many cliché "go-to" looks that any stylish woman like myself wouldn't be caught dead wearing out. Here are some ideas for how to go bold this year without making the faux pas front page.
1. Olive Green Surprise
Great for green or brown eyes, this look features a classic smoky eye with a metallic feel. The black crease and feathered lashes create an almost grunge feel, which is balanced back into feminine with a punch of green on the bottom lash line and a delightful pinky nude lip.
Get the look:
- Begin by creating a classic smoky eye, concentrating the black shade on the outer corners of the crease
- Apply a metallic liquid eyeshadow such as the Josie Maran Watercolor Eyeshadow in Coconut in the center of the lid.
- Line the top lid with a black pencil, extending the wing into a cat eye toward the ends of your brows.
- Using a dampened round brush, apply a darker olive green eyeshadow to the inner bottom half of your lower lash line. For the outer half, use a lighter green color as an accent to the black line above.
- Finish with a pinkish nude lip color, such as Nars Lipstick in Brigitte.
2. Blue & Silver Beauty
I put this look together especially for ladies with olive to dark skin because together with the cool blue and aqua tones, a nice dark complexion can really thrive in the warm party lights. Paired together with a plum or magenta lip, this look is not for the weak at heart.
Get the look:
- Once you've got a neutral base on your eyes, begin by applying a bold navy blue eyeliner. Create a raised winged line, extending the tail above the corner of your eye and out. You can use either a waterproof liquid eyeliner (Sephora brand has great ones) or a long-wear pencil such as those by Gucci or Nars.
- Using a small brush, apply an aquamarine eyeshadow along the bottom of the lifted cat eye. If the aquamarine eyeshadow does not show up on your skin, try dampening your brush or using a cream shadow instead.
- Add a bit of sparkle to the inner corner of your eyes with a silver cream shadow. I recommend using a warmer tone of silver to contrast from the blue. My favorite silver cream eyeshadows are by Illamasqua and Nars.
- Complete the look with a plum-magenta lip color and a flashy silver manicure.
3. Petal to the Metal
If you're a blondie who always seems to be stuck looking just like the other blondes in the room, pay attention to this. Instead of doing your usual smoky eye or Victoria's Secret Angel, try turning the tables to the other extreme: a dark bold lip.
Get the look:
- Apply the lightest color on the inner corners and on the brow bone, the middle color on your lid, and a copper tone in the crease of your eye to add a little dimension.
- Falsies are optional for this look, but if you're going to wear them, go for a nice pair of lashes with separated particles, so as to look as natural as possible.
- Finish the eyes with a muted gold or platinum glitter liquid eyeliner. For a high end option, pick up a tube of Urban Decay. For something a little more wallet friendly, go for NYX brand, sold at Urban Outfitters.
- Pull together this look with a thick layer of Metallic Lip Tar in Technopagan. For a more frosty feeling, feel free to blot the purple with a metallic magenta lip color such as Illamasqua's Underworld, focusing on the middle of the bottom lip only.